Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Award winning Italian Beef & Smokin Pot!



*Happy to participate in the Mama Kat's Losin It meme for the week.

I chose "What's cooking in your crockpot?" because I make this often and always receive rave reviews.


I call my crock pot my SMOKIN' POT because I can whip up some fabulous recipes in it and the name also reminds me to turn it on. Ahem. I'll let you read a little more about that.



This recipe won first prize in a Main Dish Recipe Contest when I gave it to my cousin Angie who entered it into a contest in Carlsbad, New Mexico.

She said they had never eaten Italian Beef there. Can't imagine. It's a staple here.

I made it for her family when they moved back to town so she wouldn't have to worry about a meal to prepare. I turned the crock pot on low so it could cook all night, then the sandwiches would be ready at lunch time.

When I awakened in the morning, I was surprised that I didn't arise to the wonderful aroma of the Italian meat cooking away. When I went to investigate, I realized I had failed to plug in the crock pot. I had turned on the switch, but didn't bother checking the cord.

SO I whipped up a quick batch of Mostaciolli and we all enjoyed a good laugh and the neighbor's dog enjoyed the beef.

Here's the recipe for you to try.

You will need:

A Working crock pot.
A clear head.
Possibly a dog if your head is not clear.

1 large roast (your favorite cut- but trim the fat if yours is a fatty cut)
1 package Good Season's Italian Dressing mix
1/4 cup vinegar
1 T. sugar
1-2 cans chicken broth
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 package brown gravy mix (mixed with one cup water)
1 green pepper, sliced
1 small jar mild pepperoccinis AND the juice.

Pierce meat with a fork.
Mix all other ingredients and pour over meat.
Cover and let marinade overnight OR at least 8 hours.
*THIS IS THE SECRET TO THE BEST TASTING ITALIAN BEEF EVER! DON'T SKIP THIS STEP!

Start your Smokin Pot!
Be certain that it is also plugged in.
ONLY after you are certain, call your friends and invite them over for dinner.

Cook on low for about 8-10 hours depending on the size of your roast. *Really, the longer it cooks, the better it is. Let it cook till the meat falls off the bone!

When done, SHRED THE BEEF.

Serve in large hard, crusty rolls or hoagie buns.
Put small bowls out for each guest with dipping juice in them. The sandwich can be dipped in bowl before each bite (this is why the hardest, crustiest bread is best!)

Also serve with a bit of shredded mozzarella.

Add a salad, and some chips or fries, for an easy dinner. Just need to plan ahead...
And plug it in.

Leftover meat can be used as a Philly, Steak and Cheese sandwich, or a quesadilla. For the quesadillas, I place a tortilla in the buttered skillet, add the meat and some sliced Velveeta and top with another tortilla. Delicious!

Now, I want to hear YOUR great Smokin' Pot recipes and tips!

Check out the New site I found for crock pot recipes. It's awesome!
(Thank you Tiffany @ EAT AT HOME for the link!)

14 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh this looks sooooooo goood!!!! I want some..

    ReplyDelete
  2. You need to make it and enjoy your Smokin' pot!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey- click on EAT AT HOME on my sidebar. SHe has a great smokin' pot recipe and tips to share on crock pot cooking and another link for LOTS of great smokin' pot recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the shout out. I'm so glad you told me about this recipe. It's the kind of food that I can use to bribe my 14 year old son with ;-) I love that you call the crockpot "Smokin Pot"! That is a great name!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My boys will love this - they always say "there's nothing to eat" so I'm going to have this ready the next time they mosey on home. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds awesome. I've done that with the crockpot before. But I always find it after I get home from work and have no dinner for the night. Thank God for cereal.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really, really good! I am definitely going to have to try it next week. Am always on the hunt from new crockpot recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I couldn't even use this one because I don't own a crockpot...is that some sort of wifely sin?? Ha. Loved the post!!! I'm recently new to blogger so just following of Mama Kat!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM!!! I'm SO saving this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for the link to the slow cooker site. I love this beef recipe. I made it 2 weeks ab=go and it is one of our favorites. Mine is a bot different with both pepperoccinis and Italian marinated vegetables. So delicious. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. WARNING! Do not read this blog while hungry =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for the ideas. I'm a stay at home dad (recovering from car accident) and trying to learn how to cook good, healthy, easy meals for my wife and 4 kids. I appreciate this.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I make one similar but put the pepperoccini on the cooked sandwich-terrific. Will have to try cooking them with the roast and see how that works out.

    ReplyDelete