Saturday, March 14, 2009

An Authentic Irish Breakfast/Brunch


The photo above is what is known as a FULL IRISH breakfast.

Man, those people can pack away the food!

If this is too much food for you on St. Patrick's Day, here is a recipe for one of the foods served at an authentic Irish breakfast or brunch table.


Wicklow Pancake
Named after the county just south of Dublin, this light brunch dish goes back to about the turn of the 20th century. It has the look of something invented to use up day-old bread and those last couple of eggs that are sitting around. It's not quite an omelet, and not quite a pancake (though it looks most like one, so that's how it acquired the name)...



recipe:

2 eggs
300 ml milk or cream
2 oz breadcrumbs (attention North American recipe-users: in Ireland this means fresh breadcrumbs, not dry)
2-3 green / spring onions, chopped
Some freshly chopped herbs: parsley, thyme or chives
50 g / 2 oz butter
Salt and pepper
Fresh parsley to garnish
Beat the eggs with the milk. Add the breadcrumbs, scallions, herbs and seasoning, mixing well.

Melt half the butter in a heavy frying pan. When it bubbles, pour in the egg mixture and cook over a low heat until the top begins to set.

Turn and cook the other side until browned. (As this is fairly thick, it will take slightly more time than an omelet would.)

Turn out onto a plate, dot with the remaining butter, and garnish with parsley.

*Recipe and photos from http://www.europeancuisines.com/Pictures-of-Irish-Food.

If you don't want to cook breakfast on March 17th, but still want to celebrate all things Irish, I say pour you and yours a bowl of LUCKY CHARMS or serve GREEN EGGS and HAM!

4 comments:

  1. While that 'lighter fare' looks totally fabulous, I want that plate o' food at the top. All. Of. It. (and I'm sick... Some people lose their appetite when they're sick. Not me.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie- You know I want to devour the plate at the top- I'd probably still ask for seconds.

    I hate that you're sick,but you are like me- I don't lose my appetite either.

    Big AL just called me from work and he is sick too.
    Get well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I hear whiskey is good when you're sick, but all I've got is tequila. I wonder if it works just as well...

    I sound like I've been smoking 4 packs a day since I was 12. (*Cough..*cough..)

    Tell Big Al to get better. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry Big Al is sick :( breakfast looks yummy but I think I'll take the lucky charms :D

    ReplyDelete