Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Happy Cinco de Mayo! (repost)

These recipes come via my cousin Angie who lived in New Mexico and also happens to be a fabulous cook.


Perfect to help celebrate Cinco De Mayo or to serve for any Mexican feast!

They are simple, tasty and fun...MY kind of entertaining recipes!




The first is a delicious dip from Chli's restaurant.

Chili's Skillet Queso

16-ounce box Velveeta Cheese *1 C. milk

2 teaspoons paprika *½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper

15-ounce can Hormel Chili (No Beans) * 4 tsp. chili powder

1 tablespoon lime juice *½ tsp. ground cumin



Cut the Velveeta into cubes. Combine the cheese with the remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir frequently until cheese melts.

Enjoy with tortillas!


Guacamole




2 Avocados, peeled, pitted *½ tsp. salt

⅛ C. (oil or less) *½ tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. lemon juice *¼ C. thick and chunky salsa, drained



Blend until smooth.





Chi-Chi's Mexican Fried Ice Cream (serves two)



1/2 C oil 6-inch flour tortillas *1/4 C. cornflake crumbs

2 6-inch flour tortillas *2 large scoops ice-cream

1/2 tsp. cinnamon *can whipped cream

2 Tbsp. sugar *cherries with stems



optional toppings:

honey

chocolate syrup

strawberry topping



1.) fry tortilla in the hot oil in a frying pan over med/high heat. fry each side about one minute until crispy. drain on paper towels.

2.) combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl.

sprinkle half the sugar mixture on both sides of the tortillas, coating evenly.

3.) combine other half with cornflake crumbs in wide shallow bowl.



4.) place a large scoop of ice cream in crumbs, roll around until entire surface is coated. you should not be able to see ice cream. place scoop on center of tortilla.

5.) top with whip cream and cherry. serve with a side of honey, chocolate syrup or strawberry topping.

Here is a photo I wanted to share ,to show you some great South of the Border serving dishes I purchased to help set the perfect mood for your Mexican feast. Any olorful plates will do!



If you get a chance, be sure to check out my website BLESSINGS UNLIMITED, to find more wonderful dishes and decor for your home, all inspirational items to set the perfect, peaceful mood today, and everyday! CLICK HERE.
ENJOY!

11 comments:

  1. I am soo trying that fried ice cream.. looks wonderful, sounds terrific. I was a waitress at chiChis during college.. :) Im going over to say Happy Bday to your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome....I love fried icecream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna- thanks for buzzing by Annie's. I appreciate it.

    Girlichef- it IS awesome. And easy to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll have one of everything with a Pacifico on the side. Oh, and throw a couple limes in that por favor(!!)

    (Sorry Sherri, I can't stay long..got several more states to visit. Love ya!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all looks very yummy! Thanks for stopping by my blog - I'm so glad you did, cause now I've found yours. I will be back for sure. And I went to wish Annie a Happy Birthday :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donalyn, thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks good.... can I come?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow it's been so long since I've had Chi-chi's fried ice cream. What a wonderful Cinco de Mayo feast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I LOVE fried ice cream...which is part of the reason I was so sad when Chi Chi's closed near my home!!!! But thanks to you, I can now make it myself!!!

    And when I saw your profile I thought it was pretty funny that you said you are known for your typos--especially considering my latest post on which you so kindly commented...;-)

    happy cinco de mayo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks yum!!! I'm your newest follower! stop on over and say HI! I'm always looking for Guest Chef post! It is a great way to get more traffic to your blog. LMK what you think. Susie at Scraps of Life

    ReplyDelete