Sunday, May 3, 2009

Hot Mexican Cornbread


Mexican Cornbread is a great side to a warm bowl of spicy soup like the Mexican Soup I featured here yesterday. This recipes takes only about 15 minutes to prepare and yeilds delicious results(and 8 servings).



This recipe is from Landolakes.com


You will need:



1 1/4 cups yellow cornmeal
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup LAND O LAKES® Sour Cream
1 cup cream-style corn
1/4 cup chopped seeded jalapeño peppers
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 eggs, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons chopped green bell pepper
4 ounces (1 cup) LAND O LAKES® Cheddar Cheese, shredded


Heat oven to 350°F. Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl. Stir in all remaining ingredients except cheese just until moistened.

Pour half of batter into greased 8-inch square baking pan. Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over batter. Spoon remaining batter over cheese; spread to cover.

Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until light golden brown. Sprinkle with remaining cheese; continue baking for 4 to 6 minutes or until cheese is melted. Serve immediately.

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like a delicious savory and spicy cornbread. bet it would be great with chili.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The concept of your blog is what I live by! Loveeeee it!

    The mexican cornbread rocks too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love spicy cornbread. Yours looks wonderful as does your Mexican Soup! What a great pair.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love cornbread... this sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this recipe. I can't wait to try it. The two different peppers have to really crank up the flavor of this cornbread. Happy Cinco De Mayo. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! All these flavors together are like a dream combo :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for looking me up (presumably from Mommy's Kitchen). The bisciut recipe I referred to is Johnny's Biscuits (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Johnnys-Biscuits/Detail.aspx). They have become THE biscuits in our house for the ease and, most importantly, the taste! I hope you like them.

    I'm glad I found you because it looks like the title of your blog fits right in line with my kind of cooking - moderation!

    ReplyDelete