Monday, June 1, 2009

FROM MY COOKBOOK COLLECTION...FUNNEL CAKES (Coal Country Cookin')




Awhile back, one of my commenters ,Lynn from Queen of the Castle Recipes said she would love for me to regularly post recipes from my (MASSIVE!) cookbook collection. (This collection has grown tremendously since this photo taken years ago)



I thought it was a great idea to highlight a different cookbook each week and show one of the great recipes I enjoy making from that book and to tell a bit about how it made its way into my collection.


Today then, is week one!

Featuring: COAL COUNTRY COOKIN' VOLUME II



The wonderful  thing about this cookbook is, it is FILLED with tried and true recipes from small town America (where the best home-cookin' originated).

The book is also packed with interesting photos of coal miner's on the job here, and also has an exclusive photo of a very famous Beatle from Liverpool with his sister who lives in our area.

There is a great story to read about this Beatle's visit to So. Illinois when the Fab 4 was just arriving on the scene in America. You need to buy the book just to read the account.


Here is a fun SUMMER recipe that is perfect for outdoor gatherings, especially for a Fourth of July backyard party, or would also lend itself nicely to a circus or Fair themed children's party, or Bible School celebration.

FUNNEL CAKES

2 eggs
1 c. milk
1 c. water
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract.
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 c. sugar
1 T. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
Oil (for deep frying)
Confectioner's sugar
*Can cherry pie filling (optional)

In lg. bowl, beat eggs. Add milk, water and vanilla: mix well. Combine flour, sugar and baking powder and salt; beat into egg mixture till smooth. In deep fat fryer (or electric skillet) heat oil to 375 degrees. Cover bottom of funnel spout with your finger; ladle 1/2 c. batter into funnel. Hold funnel several inches from oil, remove your finger from the spout and move funnel in spiral motion until all batter is released. (Scrape with spatula id needed). Fry 2 minutes per side. Drain on paper towel and dust with confectioner's sugar.

Add a few tablespoons cherry pie filling to make it extra special!

This really is one of those too good to be true recipes! Children of all ages will love these!

12 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this. Funnel cakes are the only reason I go to the fair. And that cook book looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That really looks like a interesting cookbook. I love funnel cakes but have never tried to make them at home. It is a perfect summer recipe! I like that if I make it for my nieces and nephews they can eat it outside!! Thanks for sharing and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From My Cookbook Collection -- I love it! I'm so glad you're doing this, Sherri. It will be great fun to read selections from your favorite books. Your kitchen bookshelf looks almost identical to mine: white, three shelves, tucked in the corner under the window :) And, of course, stuffed with cookbooks.

    The funnel cakes look delicious! I never thought about making these from home. Thanks for the inspiration. Can't wait to read your updates each week. Thanks for the link, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn- thanks for the idea! Glad to know I'm not the only cookbook addict!

    Ginger- I promise that you and the kids will love these!

    Kathy- it's a big draw for me too! I MUST have one each year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are giving me lots to do! I love me some funnel cakes! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness.. I love funnel cakes, you make it sound so easy.. Ill have to have to try these..

    Now, what Id like to know is do you have a favorite cookbook? And I love your idea of using a new one each week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Donna-My all time favorite cookbook is a church cookbook that is no longer in print, from the ladies of Southpoint Church of God in West Frankfort, Illinois (my hometown). It is called SHARING OUR BEST.

    The church was known for their good cooks, and truly, it is full of the best tasing recipes you'll ever eat! You can't beat the cooking of small town pentecostal ladies who LOVED to cook and clean and take care of their families. (Plus, secretely, they all compete for the title of BEST COOK at the church, and we all benefit!)

    It is falling apart and is very stained because I have used it so much.

    I will be posting from it next week.

    Second would be a TASTE of HOME hardback cookbook called CELEBRATIONS. Great tasting recipes that don't take alot of time to prepare, and has many pictures. I like lots of pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I looooove funnel cakes...they remind me of being a kid and having summer fun!! These are awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. WE love funnel cakes. My girls and their friends would love me forever if i made these for them. Thanks for passing along this recipe. You make it seem so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh no you didn't! :) This is so great! I love that you made it from scratch. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm a bit late seeing this, but I just found your blog via facebook! I love funnel cakes and can't wait to try this! I can't wait even more to get my own copy of the coal country cookin cookbook!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Bill and Lisa- I'm very excited for you to be receiving the cookbook. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete