Monday, April 20, 2009

Key Lime Squares and a Florida Dream



In June, I will be traveling to Florida, and I wrote a post about my needing to lose some weight really quickly, hopefully without dieting or exercising!

I'm needing some help here. You can click to read more about my dilemma at my other site, Matter of Fact.

But all the thoughts of Florida, and me stressing over a swimsuit, just got me thinking about a lovely dessert I found from MARTHA STEWART LIVING that screams FLORIDA!

It also screams "I'm gonna' be fat and flabby in my swimsuit!"

But, I have a little bit of time, so I thought I would make these now, and enjoy them while I dream of being skinny and fit and young on the beaches of Florida.

Dream with me....

You will need:


1 cup finely ground graham cracker crumbs
2 1/2 T. finely ground graham cracker crumbs
1/3 cup sugar
5 T. unsalted butter, melted
3 large egg yolks
1 1/2 teaspoons finely grated lime zest
2/3 cup fresh Key lime juice , (about 23 Key limes)
1 cup sweetened condensed milk, (14 oz.)
2 Key limes, thinly sliced into half-moons

Crust:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a small bowl. Press evenly onto bottom of an 8-inch square glass baking dish. Bake until dry and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let cool completely on a wire rack. (Do not turn off oven.)

FILLING:
Put egg yolks and lime zest in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the whisk attachment. Mix on high speed until very thick, about 5 min. Reduce speed to medium. Add condensed milk in a slow, steady stream, mixing constantly. Raise speed to high; mix until thick, about 3 min. Reduce speed to low. Add lime juice; mix until just combined.

Spread filling evenly over crust using a spatula. Bake, rotating dish halfway through, until filling is just set, about 10 min. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Refrigerate at least 4 hours (or overnight).

Cut into 2-by-2-inch bars. Garnish bars with whipped cream and a slice of lime.

Enjoy!

Now, leave me your favorite beach inspired recipe.

Feel free to link to it in my comment section, or email it to me and I will feature it in an upcoming post!

5 comments:

  1. I LOVE these, my husband loves them more. Key lime desserts are one of his favorites.. The crust looks fantastic! One of my most favorite places ever is Key West! Favorite beach treat.. Icy Lemon Ginger Vodka cocktails couresy of tyler florence:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just can't wait for the warm, sunny weather! And those relaxing waves...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Key Lime Pie... so I will have to try this.... looks so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've died and gone to heaven! Do these ever look over the top! Key lime is one of my favorites and Ican't wait to try and makes these. Who needs a swimsuit when you have these! Wowsa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Perhaps instead of wearing a bathing suit, you should cover your body in Key Lime Squares. Hard to notice body flaws when they're covered in key lime deliciousness.

    Or you could still go with the horse blinder idea.

    ReplyDelete