Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Spicy Cheeseburger Soup


I just can't get enough soup! The creamier, the better .

I made a pot of this the other night- only Big AL and I were there to eat it, and I'm ashamed to say, we emptied the pot! Now, it only makes 2 quarts, so you better double the recipe if you're expecting more than two.

This recipe is from my OLD KING COAL festival's cookbook, COAL COUNTRY COOKIN', Volume I. There are no other copies of this one available, but Volume II still has a few for purchase. Kim Taylor submitted this delicious hearty soup for all of us to enjoy.

THANK YOU KIM!

You will need:

1 1/2 cup water
2 c. cubed peeled potatoes
2 small carrots, grated (or sliced)
1 sm. onion, chopped
1/4 c. green pepper
1 garlic clove, minced
1 T. beef bouillon granules
1/2 tsp. salt
1 lb. ground beef, cooked and drained
2 1/2 c. milk, divided
3 T. a/p flour
8 oz. Velveeta (I used shredded cheddar this time- it was still delicious!)
1/4-1tsp. Cayenne pepper
1 jalapeno seeded and chopped (optional)
1/2 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled (I was out of bacon- didn't miss it)

In lg. saucepan, combine water, veggies, garlic, bouillon and salt; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes till veggies are tender. Stir in beef and 2 cups of milk; heat through. Combine flour and remaining milk until smooth; gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Add cayenne pepper if desired. Top with bacon just before serving. I sprinkled with a little pepper too.

Enjoy!

16 comments:

  1. It is so funny you made this!! The other night we were watching something on TV where they were serving Cheeseburger Soup and my husband asked "How do you suppose they make that soup"? He wanted a bowl and now I have the recipe!! Thank you. It really looks so very good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger- I'm glad the timing was right- I think he'll love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG that looks so comforting. Yummy. I may have to make this the next time I get ground beef in my CSA. This sounds good. I might even improvise with some of my favorite burger toppings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok. This is really cool. This is not only a perfect weeknight meal, but something I've never seen before. Saving to the Sherri file...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds and looks delicious... I'm a soup person too and this one is one I will definitely try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy, this sounds perfect for cool evenings! I'm always looking for new soup recipes and with the addition of cheese, I know this will be a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. May be the perfect soup...

    your photos are amazing

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dh would love this dish, he's does enjoy the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Sweetie-Pi would love this. Cheese and hamburg in a soup. I think he'd eat it straight from the pot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is absolutely delicious! The pot would be empty if I made it too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with ya on the soup and this one looks like a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cheeseburger soup?! I have to try it! It looks and sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh, yeah, soup! Naturally I try to gather all the soup recipes I can. This looks like a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I made this today. It's delicious! Of course with having five kids and one of their friends over, I had to triple it:)

    ReplyDelete