Friday, October 13, 2017

Nancy's Bread Pudding (a repost)



A wonderful memorable recipe passed down from one generation to another is a deliciously moist bread pudding shared by my friend Nancy Wilburn, an Elementary School teacher who has been making her mother's recipe for many years.

 "When I make this dish, I always think of my Mother [the late Vertis Vaughn]. She would take it to all the church functions." ~Nancy



Not only is this recipe enjoyed during the Wilburn family holidays, it has been a special request for potlucks, church socials and was also most one of the most requested dishes by the West Frankfort athletes for their sports banquets.

Nancy recently prepared this dish for me and I can honestly say that it is THE BEST bread pudding recipe I've ever tasted! Extremely moist, without being soggy. A subtle blend of mild flavors. This would make a perfect  Brunch entree, or breakfast or dessert, an afternoon snack, midnight snack...you get the idea. This is comfort food at its best!

BREAD PUDDING

1 loaf of white bread
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups sugar
4 cups milk
2 tsp. vanilla
1 stick Parkay Margarine ( used Butter)
1/2 cup raisins (optional)

VANILLA SAUCE

1 cup sugar
2 Tbs. cornstarch
1 cup boiling water
1 stick Parkay Margarine (I used butter)
1 Tbs. vanilla

Break bread into pieces and put into a buttered (or sprayed) 9x13 pan. Add raisins on top (if desired). Beat eggs, then add sugar, milk and vanilla. Pour over bread in the pan. Take a spoon and push bread into milk mixture. Sprinkle cinnamon over top and dot with butter. Bake at 350 degrees for one hour. (place on top of cookie sheet to avoid spillover). *This will rise while baking but will fall after removed from the oven.

Sauce directions:
Mix sugar and cornstarch in 2 qt. pan. Gradually add boiling water. Cook until sauce is thickened. Remove from stove. Add butter and vanilla. Stir until well blended. Pour sauce over baked pudding and add cinnamon on top if desired.



Thank you, Nancy!

2 comments:

  1. I used butter instead of margarine when I prepared this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used butter instead of margarine when I prepared this.

    ReplyDelete