Saturday, January 6, 2018

A Healthier Chicken (or Turkey) Fettuccine Skillet( a re-post)


(Originally published in 2011)


SO you already know I don't enjoy eating "diet food"....I'm a comfort food sort of gal, and TASTE OF HOME always has recipes I enjoy.

I came across a new cookbook that caught my eye and made me take a chance...
It was a TASTE OF HOME "Comfort Food Cookbook Diet".




Whoa! Stopped me in my tracks!

I bought it and came right home and made the recipe on the cover.

I must confess, I did use FULL-FAT half and half instead of the lighter version but ONLY because it was the only version available in the store, and the weather here is snowy-freezing and I didn't want to go back out on the bad roads (okay, and I like my full-fat half and half).

Anyway, this was VERY good--and I'm sure you could make it either way for the same great results.
Give this one a try!(The book AND the recipe)

You will need:
8 oz. uncooked fettuccine
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped celery
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp. Canola oil
1 cup sliced, fresh mushrooms
2 cups fat-free milk
1 tsp. salt-free seasoning mix (Like Mrs. Dash)
1/4 tsp. salt
2 T. Cornstarch
1/2 cup fat-free half and half
1/3 cup grated Parmesan
3 cups cubed COOKED chicken or turkey
3/4 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella

Cook noodles according to pkg. directions. Meanwhile, cover a large, oven-proof skillet with cooking spray. and saute' onion, celery and garlic in oil for 3 min. Add mushrooms; cook and stir till veggies are tender. Stir in milk, seasoning blend and salt. Bring to a boil.

Mix cornstarch and half and half until smooth; stir into skillet. Cook and stir for 2 min. (or until thick & bubbly); stir in Parmesan just till melted.
Stir in meat. Drain noodles; add to mixture. Heat through. Sprinkle with mozzarella. Broil 2-3 min.

2 comments: