Saturday, June 6, 2009

Vidalia Onion Pie



You've probably noticed that I use LOTS of vidalia onions in my recipes.

I love them. Oddly, I'm not an onion lover, just a lover of the sweeter vidalia variey.

My friend Tonya gave me this recipe to try and I loved it!

Even if you're not a big onion fan, you still need to try this. It tastes like one of those breakfast casseroles, but I served it as a side dish to Salmon patties and mashed potatoes for supper.


YOU WILL NEED:


1 cup Ritz crackers, crumbled fine
1/2 stick butter, melted
2 cups Vidalia onions, diced (or thinly sliced. ) I diced mine.
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or Mozzarella)
1 T. butter
2 eggs
3/4 c. milk
3/4 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix cracker crumbs with 1/2 stick butter and press into bottom of pie plate. Saute onions in 1 T. butter till translucent, not brown.
Spoon into pie plate. Beat eggs and milk with salt; pour over onions. SPrinkle with cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean (it took 40 minutes for me. I covered top with foil for those last ten minutes.)


Then end result is amazing!

2 comments:

  1. I love sweet onions too! this sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds absolutely delicious. I love vidalias.

    ReplyDelete