Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Spinach Salad (a re-post)



This is a wonderful salad that tastes exactly like a recipe that a family-style restaurant (PIONEER'S CABIN) once made here in southern Illinois. I was thrilled when I found the recipe.


The recipe came from this book:

It's in pretty bad shape because it's one of those books that everything I've made from its contents is delicious so it just keeps on getting used, and used, and used again. And check out the price... $0.97 ! I've always been a bargain hunter- and this find was one of the best bucks I've ever spent! I've been making this recipe for about 15  years and it always receives lots of compliments. A great year-round salad to serve.


YOU WILL NEED:

2- 3 pkgs. fresh, washed spinach (tear into bite-size pieces if you prefer)
1 lb. cook bacon, chopped
1 can water chestnuts, drained and chopped
1 can bean sprouts
2 hard cooked eggs, chopped

DRESSING:

1 cup oil
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup vinegar
1/2 sugar

Mix together and stir dressing into salad right before serving.

*This is one of those recipes that gets soggy quickly, but normally the salad is devoured in no time flat so leftovers are not a problem.

Enjoy~ Everything in Moderation

14 comments:

  1. This recipe is neat because of the use of so much ketchup in the dressing. It must have been fantastic if you ate three bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, well I'm also a glutton so if it's good, I'm going back for more! It really is delicious- it is interstingly sweet/tangy sort of dressing. Obviously it doesn't taste like ketchup or I wouldn't like it much- it's just good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmmmm...this does sound really good! Sweet & tangy is just my style. Plus, there's bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. girlichef- I'd eat bacon on a old shoe! I'm baaaaaaad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If youve been making this for 10 years Ive gotta try it. The vinegar in the dressing?? white or red wine, balsamic?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Donna- I used red wine vinegar, but have also used balsamic before. Never used white vinegar in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yay! A tried and true spinach salad. LOVE the bowl - gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would love to have this salad for lunch today. The dressing really sounds like a winner to me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How I love a good spinach salad! Strawberries or raspberries sometimes grace mine. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This sounds delicious! I love spinach and I fully understand eating 3 bowls!...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am getting to like spinach more and more. This combination is very appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, I'll bet this is good -- especially with the bacon in it. And the cookbook looks great. Don't you just love those bargains that turn out to be filled with great recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I miss pioneer cabin. I loved going to there and eating the spinach salad and flower pot bread and delicious fried chicken,😁

    ReplyDelete