Thursday, July 9, 2009

Homemade Granola



Recently, Big AL and I celebrated our 27th anniversary, and we stayed overnight at a quaint little Bed and Breakfast in Cape Girardeau, Mo., The Rosebed Inn. (This was our fourth visit!)

Here's a shot of the gorgeous room!



We continue to return because we are treated like ROYALTY in beautiful surroundings.

A delicious full gourmet breakfast was served, but the first course included a very simple homemade yogurt with granola. (Pictured).

Now, I've never made my own yogurt, but this is my granola recipe (from Alton Brown) that is delicious served atop a creamy yogurt, and served in an elegant dish, makes even an ordinary breakfast seem extraordinary.

You will need:
Ingredients
3 cups rolled oats
1 cup slivered almonds
1 cup cashews
3/4 cup shredded sweet coconut
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup raisins


Directions

Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.

In a large bowl, combine the oats, nuts, coconut, and brown sugar.

In a separate bowl, combine maple syrup, oil, and salt. Combine both mixtures and pour onto 2 sheet pans. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.

Remove from oven and transfer into a large bowl. Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.

Pamper yourself with this simple recipe.

13 comments:

  1. Dang, Sherri. I could use some of that in my yogurt this morning. And I'm out of eggs... It's going to be a loooong time til lunch. (sigh)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is delicious! I'm eating it as I type!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Sherri,

    Happy 27th anniversary! I stopped by to tell you your name is on my blog today. Thank-you for being a blogger buddy.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous room!! I love the sound of your granola.. perfectly paired with the yogurt!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds awesome (love Alton Bronw!)...and the room....ahhhh, I could use that right about now :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My husband and I love B&B's.. this room looks lovely! And waking up to fresh granola.. yumm!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Get out! 27 years??? Seriously. But, but... you look so dang young!!!

    Happy anniversary, belated. I just love B&Bs. Especially if they happen to have a bit of haunted history!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mary- funny you would mention
    haunted B & Bs, because the owners say this one is
    "haunted" by a friendly ghost! Supposedly guests have reported different sightings.

    I don't believe in ghosts, so I just smiled and nodded politely as they told their story, which was VERY interesting...to say the least!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sherri,

    I got your message. Of course you can link/or use it to compare for your cheater version! You don't even need to ask, you're always welcome too do things like this.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats on the anniversary! ... sorry it's belated.... I was out of commission when this was posted... I'm catching up.... great anniversary get-away.... and the granola sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, how I love granola! I wonder if I've got everything on hand to make some now...

    ReplyDelete