Saturday, September 23, 2017

Mom's Oven Baked Stew


UPDATE: This post has been shared many times over on Pinterest and I wanted to share it again here today since nothing says AUTUMN SUPPER  like a good stew.

Shared originally on Oct. 12, 2009



Have you ever enjoyed oven baked stew?

What could more more appropriate to serve during the cool crisp (and rainy!) weather we have been having?

This is another winner from my Momma's collection of great home cooked meals.

My late Grandpa Pete (Pietro) said this was the best stew he had ever eaten- which were fightin' words because my late grandmother Amelia considered HERSELF to be the best cook. No one wants to be shown up by their daughter-in-law!

Sorry, Grandma, but I'll have to agree with Grandpa on this one!
I've been blessed to come from a long line of great cooks!

Because of its low cooking temperature and many baking hours, this is perfect to serve for Sunday Dinner. It will be ready when you return from your service.

You can also raise the oven temperature for a shorter cooking time, but I like it cooking low and slow.

Here's what you'll need for this recipe:

2 cans tomato soup
2 cups water
1/2 c. flour
4 lbs. stew beef
6 med. carrots
8 med. potatoes
3/4-1cup celery
1 onion
4 beef bouillon cubes
1 pkg. Good Season's Italian Seasoning mix.

Mix together soups, water and flour. Add meat, veges and seasoning, stir well. Bake Covered at 275 degrees for 4-5 hours.

Warm crusty bread and a side salad is all you need for a complete meal.

You can thank my Momma for this one!

8 comments:

  1. The tomato soup reminds me of my husband's grandmother's recipe. I've never made it or tried it but he raves about it. I might just have to surprise him with your recipe. Love the picture of you and your mom (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious :) It sounds like it might be a good crockpot candidate, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just LOVE that picture! Makes me miss my mama so.

    The stew looks wonderful - one of my favorite fall foods for sure! Love the addition of the Italian seasoning - very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. COlin's Mom- Your husband would love this! Go ahead and surprise him.

    Lynn- I'm sure it would work well in the crock pot too.

    Mary- The Italian seasoning is another staple in almost every recipe my Mom makes. And thanks for mentioning the photo. I really tried hard in this one ( I don't usually) Photographer son has been giving me tips. When I'm not too rushed- I try to put them into practice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The stew looks excellent. I like the tomato base. So delicious and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh.......STEW..... TALK ABOUT COMFORT !!!!!!!!!!!! YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The stew sounds great... I've baked a stew once in a clay pot... came out great... love your recipe and will definitely try it this winter... we're on the same wave length ... I made a crock pot stew a few nights ago.

    I absolutely love that picture of you and your Mom... hope it's framed and somewhere important in your house... great picture ... you both look so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete