Monday, October 19, 2009

Pumpkins, Pumpkins, everywhere- and even some to drink!



I'm all about comfort, and from now until it warms up again, I'll be looking for ways to warm my bones- from the inside out- mainly scouring websites and cookbooks for comfort food and drinks that warm me up during my favorite season; Autumn.

Last weekend, we took a trip to Bandy's Pumpkin Patch and now I am in the mood (more so than usual) for all things pumpkin! Foods, drinks, decor....



I purchased a cooking pumpkin for homemade goodness and it had me searching for some new recipes to add to my ever growing list of pumpkin favorites.

I want to share this one though, first off, because it is simple and ABSOLUTELY delicious! If you are a Starbuck's fan but feel like paying $4-$5 for a cup of their creations is a bit over the top, you can make this version of their Pumpkin Spice Latte for pennies on the dollar!

This is from A YEAR OF CROCKPOT COOKING

PUMPKIN SPICE LATTE

--2 cups milk (I used 2%)
--2 T canned pumpkin
--2 T white sugar
--2 T vanilla (not a typo. it asks for tablespoons)
--1/2 tsp pumpkin pie spice
OR: 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/8 tsp cloves, 1/8 tsp nutmeg, and a teeny tiny pinch of ground ginger
--1/2 cup brewed espresso or 3/4 cup strong brewed coffee (I used strong coffee)

--garnish with whipped cream (optional)
I did not the first day, I did the second time. Great either way.

The Directions.

This will make enough for 2 people to have a big mug with a bit leftover. If you are having friends over, adjust the recipe accordingly.

Add the coffee/espresso and milk to the crockpot. Whisk in the pumpkin, spices, sugar, and vanilla.

Cover and cook on high for 2 hours if everything is cold. Whisk again.

Ladle into mugs, and garnish with whipped cream and additional cinnamon.






















My guys keep bugging me to make this again and again. You must try it for yourself!

13 comments:

  1. Wow, beautiful fall festive pictures. No "everything in moderation" with Pumpkins.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmm I love pumpkin spice latte's! I am planning on posting one soon that I made last year - very similar recipe to this one. Maybe I should make both :) Love your pictures from the pumpkin patch! Looks like a fun weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some serious cuties! I've had a pumpkin latte from Starbucks but I think I would enjoy the homemade kind much more and your looks luscious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all your pictures. Those are so cute they get me right in the mood for fall. I also love the sound of your latte. I've been seeing so many pumpkin drinks around the blogosphere lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so very deicious. I love the thought of it, what a perfect way to celebrate fall.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love visiting the pumpkin patch. This sounds soooo awesome. I have everything to make it, too! Although...I want to up the pumpkin and down the vanilla. Wonder if that'd ruin it. I'll try it as written, first...YUM! Thanks for this recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can not wait to make this latte. This sounds like a perfect way to take the chill of the cool weather! I must say thank you so much for sharing this recipe YUMMY!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The latte sounds incredibly delicious! Great pictures! I am visiting the pumpkin patch this weekend! I can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My mouth is watering...I can't wait to try this latte!

    Those pumpkin pics are adorable. We have yet to take our munchkins to pick a pumpkin. It's getting to be that time!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, does that latte ever sound RICH! and YUMMY!

    Your photos are just adorable. Love those made up faces on the children. It looks as if everyone is having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I will try it! The pictures are great... I do miss fall in upstate New York... here in Georgia... well... it's just not the same... our weather has turned cold (cold for us) but the lleaves really don't change and people don't celebrate fall like they do up north...

    Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You just said pumpkin latte and crock pot in the same sentence! Save save save!

    I forgot to tell you the pics of your mom's cookies can be found on my flickr. I have the post nearly ready but am waiting until after the halloween rush of stuff or when I find a whole to put it where people won't miss it.

    Close up here http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecookingphotographer/4014672225/ and wide shot here http://www.flickr.com/photos/thecookingphotographer/4015285742/in/photostream/

    ReplyDelete