Monday, November 2, 2009

Healing Soup



For Many years, when anyone was sick in the family, my Mom always made a pot of her healing soup. It has become a special request now anytime someone in the family is ill, and also when we are all well, but needing some of her special soup made from her loving hands.

I don't know what it is- maybe the combination of her love and prayers while she's preparing it- but I swear when I enjoy the first warm spoonful, I start feeling better...and very loved.

This is a tradition I want to pass along to all of you, especially now, during this crazy flu season- but don't wait till everyone's sick- give them a warm bowl while they can really enjoy the delicious flavors.





2 beef shanks (with lots of meat on them)

Cover with water then cook on boil low for about one hour.

Add 1 onion, chopped. Add broth (3 cans chicken) and 1 can stewed tomatoes and 2 T. chicken bouillon and cook for at least least 30 minutes. Add 5 or 6 cubed potatoes- and celery chopped and carrots, sliced (2 each) let cook on med. another 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Enjoy!

Another wonderful recipe from My Momma and Me!

10 comments:

  1. I can feel the love from here!! I would love a big bowl :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. soup cures the chills and aches... great post, and I like the Mom touch

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummm.... cough cough hack hack... send me some... oh... you know I was faking??? darn it!

    Great recipe ...thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I seriously picked up the phone and called my mom when I saw your picture together...priceless.

    Another great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It has worked for our family for many years, and Tony C- I'm glad this made you call your momma! As a mother myself, I know we can never receive too many phone calls from those children we love.

    ReplyDelete
  6. At our house, when we were sick it was ginger ale. I think soup is much better! Made with a momma's special love, this soup could cure 'bout anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just found your blog. When I read what you write about yourself, I think you sound exactly like ME! When I see your photo with you and your mom, I think if my darling daughter! Seriously, I can't wait to try this soup. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Katy- we drank Ginger Ale with our soup!

    Kathleen- Welcome. Always glad to have a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a sweet post. Homemade soup is the best and a cure for what ails you - especially when Mom makes it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a touching post and a heartwarming soup.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete