Sunday, May 17, 2009

She's about to pop!

Saturday, my cousin Angie and I hosted a baby shower for a relative, Cheryl, who is pregnant with twins.

We didn't want it to be an ordinary shower, and wanted a clever theme other than NOAH'S ARK for a twins shower.

We found an idea for a theme we liked, and then tweaked it to suit our tastes, and came up with one of the most fun and unique showers either one of us has attended!

Since poor Cheryl still has about a month to go and is already pretty miserable (bless her heart), our theme for the shower was perfect..."SHE'S ABOUT TO POP!"

The entire shower was designed around a POPCORN THEME and was a big hit!

The invitations were designed by Angie on the computer and included a popcorn bucket with a couple of kernels with the babies' names in the kernels, inviting everyone to come and shower these babies because, Mamma's about to POP!

The shower decor consisted of white tablecloths, red plates/cups/napkins with red white and yellow balloon bouquets on each table with a bucket of homemade caramel corn for snacks. Each table had different flavors in their bowls and guests enjoyed swapping out the treats with others from different tables.



A POPCORN BAR was the big hit of the party.



Angie had popped a very large bucket full of plain popcorn. We then set out different "topping" that guests could choose from to make their own popcorn concoctions.



We purchased white paper bags for guests to put their popcorn creations in, or they could use plates.

Different toppings included:
CANDY
Milk Duds, M & Ms and Reece's Pieces.

SEASONINGS:
Ranch
White Cheddar
Cinnamon and Sugar
Garlic Parmesan.

We also had butter flavored oil for the more traditional popcorn lovers.

Angie also made these adorable miniature popcorn balls on a stick, that had been drizzled in caramel and chocolate.




I made the "POPCORN" CUPCAKES.



I thought they turned out really cute and I even had some help decorating from my little cousin Hannah, so this would be a fun treat to make with kids.

I baked two different flavors; Lemon, and chocolate with some help from my good friend Betty (as in Crocker), but of course, you could make your favorite homemade recipe.Then iced them with homemade butter cream frosting, ( or you could use a store bought variety)topped them with miniature marshmallows (it took two bags!) and sprinkled them with yellow sugar sprinkles. They were really cute baked inside the red/white striped liners.

They did resemble little popcorn containers.
I think these would be cute to serve at any child's party or a movie themed party.

Cheryl was a great sport, and of course received many nice gifts for her upcoming arrivals.





Tomorrow, I will share the recipes to the popcorn mixes.

Today was just a teaser for those!

*This is the icing recipe I used on the cupcakes.






BUTTERCREAM FROSTING

1 lb. confectioners' sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbsp. milk


In large bowl, beat together sugar, butter, vanilla and milk until smooth. If necessary add more milk until frosting is spreading consistency. Mix everything well. Spread on cooled cake/cupcakes.

Tune in tomorrow for the delicious caramel corn recipes!

9 comments:

  1. What a great theme!! Sounds like so much fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. OK this is the best baby shower idea EVER! I will be doing this for my SIL later on. We just found out she's pregnant this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's a great theme too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you all liked this. We had a blast!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love baby showers. What a great theme and love the idea of the 'pop'corn bar!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Will you post the recipe for the popcorn balls as well? My 5 year old will be graduating from k-5 this week and I made a special treat for her classmates. I'm going to post a picture of it Wednesday. You will have to check it out.
    Looks like the shower was a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for visiting my blog. It looks like a good time was had by all.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmm! Now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great theme for a babyshower!!
    I love the recipes too.
    (I just had twin grandbabies....so hooray for twins!)

    ReplyDelete