Tuesday, November 14, 2017

For the love of QUINOA (a re-post)


*This was originally posted in 2013


I am rather new to the world of Quinoa. I didn't even know for the longest time that it is pronounced "Keen-wah", and I was calling it "Quin-noah"...just like it's spelled. Go figure.

I LOVE this stuff!  First of all, it's  a SUPER FOOD! Meaning, it could almost stand alone as far as nutrition goes...Well, almost.

I don't  eat diet food, but I love healthy food, believe it or not. And this is so much better for our bodies than white rice, which Quinoa can replace in most recipes.

For those of you who haven't tried it, it is similar to rice, but with a nutty flavor. It is bland on its own (like rice) so seasoning is required.  You can fix this sooooooo many delicious ways (just google QUINOA RECIPES and see for yourself.

One of my favorite ways, is to prepare it with savory seasonings to go alongside a chicken or turkey dish. Which is what I did here.



For this recipe, you will need:

1-2 T. butter (I used REAL organic butter--no margarine, PLEASE!)
1 cup UNCOOKED Quinoa (I used the organic, and it needs to be rinsed first.)
2 T. fresh chopped garlic
2 cups broth (I used organic chicken broth, but you can also use vegetable broth)
2 T. FRESH parsley
1/2 tsp. fresh thyme
1/4 tsp. salt
onion ( about a half of a white one- or more)

Melt butter in skillet and add quinoa. Toast it (takes about 5 minutes in the skillet, while stirring around so it doesn't burn). Add garlic and Stir in the broth and bring to a boil. Then reduce to simmer and cover and cook for about 10 minutes. Add the rest of seasonings and cover again and cook for at least 5 minutes more.
Serve warm.

For the chicken, I just placed some butter in my skillet, and sprinkled with Italian seasoning ( a little bit from my spice jar) and cooked till done.  I steamed the broccoli.

To make it even healthier, you could replace the butter in both recipes with olive oil, which I sometimes do...but not tonight. ;)

ENJOY~Everything in Moderation




No comments:

Post a Comment