Sunday, June 7, 2009

From My Cookbook Collection...THE GRACE OF PATTI'S -Crispy Baked Chicken



Each Monday I share a recipe from one of my cookbooks from my ever growing cookbook collection.
You'll love this one.



This cookbook was a Christmas Gift from my neighbor and good friend, Diana.

She knows I love to cook, and my favorite cookbooks are the tried and true recipes. This book highlights some wonderful family recipes from the owners of Patti's 1880s Settlement, in Grand Rivers, Kentucky. Big AL and I have eaten in their wonderful restaurant and shopped in the gift shoppe after enjoying a relaxing game of goofy golf. I'm leaving a link for you here, so you can see this place for yourself. It's worth the trip if you're within driving distance.

Arielle's Crispy Baked Chicken



YOU WILL NEED:

1/2 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. pepper
3 1/2 lbs. chicken (or chicken strips)
1/3 cup butter
Bar-BQ sauce for dipping

Combine first 6 ingredients. Dip chicken in milk, then roll in dry mixture. Place in greased 13x9-inch pan. Drizzle with butter. Bake uncovered at 375 degrees for 55 minutes. If using strips, only 25- 30 minutes baking time.

The chicken has a very subltle flavor that is enhanced, but not at all overwhelmed by the chili powder. It is great dipped in BBQ sauce, but honey mustard would be good too. Or skip the dipping altogether. It is very good alone.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. You have the best recipes, Sherri! I love to scroll through your posts. I've got some chicken in the freezer, and this recipe looks like it'd be perfect. Hope to give it a try soon. Now if only California weren't so far away from Kentucky . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is mot definitely a keeper. I'm no that far away...maybe you should adopt me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sherri I can almost taste that chicken! Cornmeal makes a lot of sense. I'm going to try it next time.

    Laura

    ReplyDelete