Sunday, July 5, 2009

Herbed Mashed Potatoes



"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams


Okay, I know he's right in theory, but I say a potato a day keeps the gloomies away!

Don't you agree?

Here's a recipe from my Taste of Home CELEBRATIONS cookbook, that tops the list of COMFORT FOODS. Warm, rich and creamy!



HERBED MASHED POTATOES

You will need:

6 1/2 cups cubed, red potatoes (leave jackets on)
2 garlic cloves, peeled and halved
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup sour cream
2 T. minced, fresh parsley
2 T. minced, fresh oregano
1 T. minced, fresh thyme
1 T. butter
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper

Place potatoes and garlic in saucepan. Cover with garlic. Bring to a boil over Med.-High heat. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender:drain. Place potatoes and garlic in a large mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients and mash.

Prepare to be comforted like you never have before...


Then contact Douglas Adams and tell him HE WAS WRONG!

12 comments:

  1. These sound like delicious potatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really delicious and I have all those herbs in my garden!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your site from your visit to my site. You are definitely my kind of cook. That cherry tortilla cobbler...wow! can't wait to try it. And where are you from in Illinois? Born there and lived there until I was 10. And still have some family in those parts. I will be here often!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will definitely be trying these. Something different than roasted reds or garlic mashed. Plus, I've got a ton of various herbs that need to be cut back.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red potatoes are my absolute favorite! These sound so good with all those fresh herbs mixed in!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for your kind comments everyone.

    And Karen,welcome, and I'm from West Frankfort, Illinois. We're about 2 hours South of St. Louis.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mashed potatoes are the ultimate comfort food and these are over the top!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy looking taters!!! I don't know.. potatoes are pretty darned good - I think if you have a big ole bowl of these you'd forget your troubles, right? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sherri,

    I'm from East St. Louis. I know, yuck. Now I live in the gorgeous Pacific northwest. Don't miss the humidity or thunder storms. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete