Friday, August 21, 2009

3 bowl Marvel Chicken Soup


I call this "3 bowl...soup" because the average number of bowls consumed by each person is 3 bowls! Yeah, it's THAT good!

This big pot of comfort was first introduced to me when my nephew passed away. A lady from church brought it to the house for the family. Honestly, we weren't eating much of anything during that time, but this soup, was eaten. And remembered.

Thank you Ruth Duke for your kindness, and the delicious recipe!
We've all been serving it for years, and we've passed on the tradition of taking it to those who need a little comfort. It's no wonder that when I asked Big AL what he would like me to make for his supper while he was injured, he said, "Make 'The Soup'."

I always get recipe requests when I serve or give this soup to my friends.

What is the secret to the comfort you ask? Well, besides the proven healing properties in chicken soup, and the loving hands that prepare it, VELVEETA CHEESE is added for extra creaminess.

Creaminess=comfort.

If you want to share a bit of comfort, don't wait till cold weather hits- enjoy some comfort now. Just crank up the air!

You will need:


1 chicken-
3 chicken bouillon cubes
2 cups potatoes, diced
2 cups carrots, diced
2 cups celery, diced
1/4- 1/2 cup onions
2 cups COOKED rice
16 oz. Velveeta, cubed

Boil chicken, then remove from pot. (Remove skin and bones, shred meat and set aside) Strain broth. Add bouillon cubes to boiling broth, then add the vegetables. Bring to a boil, then cover and simmer till veges are tender. Add cooked rice, chicken and Velveeta and stir until cheese is melted. Add salt and pepper to taste and remove from heat.

Serve warm with Crusty bread and a salad.



* I had taken several pics of the soup, but I've been having a problem with my pics not all transferring over when I download them/upload them on the Kodak photo share. Does anyone know why this would happen? It only chooses random photos to transfer, and it is usually the photos I don't care for. Very frustrating!

9 comments:

  1. Wow.. this really looks good. In fact, every dish I've seen on your blog so far is making me hungry :)

    I'm glad I happened to stumble this direction today. Looks like lots of interesting dishes to try. Thanks for taking the time to post them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paladin- my pleasure. I'm glad you've found some things you like. Come back- there's more where this came from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does look like a delicious, creamy and comforting soup! I could eat soup most of the year, except when it's really steamy outside.Thanks for sharing your favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simple and delicious. I love velveeta, adds so much yumminess. Never tried it in a soup. Delicious bowl of comfort for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh oh oh!

    I am a horrible cook and this looks like something even I could make!! It looks scrumpdillyicious.....

    Thanks for popping in my world! I am glad to find a new friend! I'll be back FOR sure!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle- this will be the best tasting-most simple homemade soups that you can make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Homemade soup is the best! Just the smell of it cooking screams comfort. Love this with Velveeta in it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this is a silly question, but how long do I boil the chicken? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous-NOT a stupid question at all. If you are boiling chicken pieces with the bone in, it's gonna' be about 45 minutes. You can check a piece and make sure all the "pink" is gone. It should come of the bone easily.

    Boneless chicken takes less time (30 minutes) but when making soup, the broth is always better from chicken with bones in.

    ReplyDelete