Friday, October 16, 2009

FAST AND FURIOUS FRIDAY- Ground Beef Stroganoff



Am I the only one counting my pennies at the grocery store?
It seems that the Almighty Dollar isn't so mighty anymore!
My Dollar is shrinking- I'm trying to find some steroids to inject into my budget, but as of yet, I'm coming up empty handed (in more ways than one).

Recently, I found a recipe that caught my eye in my handy dandy penny pincher cookbook:
365 Quick, Easy and Inexpensive Dinner Menus (Penny E. Stone)



Instead of the classic Beef Stroganoff that calls for a pricier cut of beef, this uses the old "wannabe", hamburger. But honestly, it was very good. And I still had two nickles to rub together upon exiting the Kroger! I made this for my neighbor and her family one evening when she was under the weather. It fed their family of 3 and Big AL and me. Everyone had seconds.

If you'd like to try this dinner, you will need:

1 lb. lean ground beef
1 med. onion, chopped
1 T. Cornstarch
1/4 cup cold water
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
2 cans cream of mushroom soup
1 (16 oz.) pkg. dried egg noodles
1 cup sour cream (or plain yogurt)

Brown beef and onion in skillet till meat is done and onion is transparent. Drain grease. Dissolve cornstarch in cold water and pour onto meat. Stir in garlic powder, salt & pepper and soups. Cook for five minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to low and simmer for another 10 minutes. Meanwhile, cook noodles according to pkg. directions. When done, drain . Remove meat mixture from heat and stir in sour cream and mix well. Add to noodles and mix till well blended.

Enjoy.




Before you leave, click here to enter my free giveaway: A one year subscription to SOUTHERN LIVING magazine!

49 comments:

  1. Stopping over from Dave's Year On The Grill. You have a terrific blog with some tasty homemade recipes. Great photos! Glad to have found you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am with you Sherri!! My dollar needs steroids to inject in to it also!! I have one son in college and another on the way!! This dish looks easy and really good. I like to cookbook!! Have a great weekend.

    Gin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am the cheapest guy in blogdom. I don't buy if it is not on sale... And I always make my Stroganoff from ground beef. But then I I have always been cheap. Great Post

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make a stroganoff similar to this and it is very good! I too am always looking for ways to stretch the buck, and you're right, it doesn't go far these days. But this recipe is a great example of the most for your pennies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love stroganoff. We used to eat it a lot growing up so it's always had a special place in my heart. If I can afford to splurge I like to make it with shaved steak and I've found it's also very good with tempeh which is quite inexpensive.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think if you can get even one "keeper" recipe from a book like this, it's totally worth it! I am definitely feeling the pinch. Looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks comforting and delicious! And how great that it fed five people on 1 pound of meat. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  8. A great money-saving dish! Perfect for a weeknight too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're watching our budget more closely than ever. I'm saving this one too. Thanks.

    Oh yes, and City Hall loved your mom's cookies! There were other cookies that day and homemade cinnamon rolls and the only ones finished off were your mom's cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I own this cookbook and have made this recipe. Its a BIG hit with my family!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was tired of fixing the same old thing with ground beef so i tried this. Fast, easy, and taste delicious! Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you liked it. It has become one of my most popular recipes, thanks to Pinterest. :)

      Delete
  12. Family LOVES your Hamburger Stroganoff!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hamburger Stroganoff is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Make a similar recipe and add ~1/4 cup of dry sherry to kick it up a notch. The alcohol cooks off.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for sharing. We loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. We tried this for dinner tonight, served with crescent rolls, and it was so tasty and filling!!. Stroganoff was one of my favorites growing up, but I never make it because my mom's recipe uses cubed steak, and we're on a tight budget. I was so excited when I find this recipe on pinterest, and have to say, it's better than my mom's!! Definitely my go-to stroganoff recipe now.. thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy! Me and my husband are low on money and in need of cheap dinners! Do you think this will feed me, my husband, and a toddler for 2 nights? (Plus seconds) Lol

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eating this now, it came out great! One of those recipes that is not too hard or long to whip up on a weeknight.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We've made this 3 times now. Love it. Tonight I realized I forgot to buy egg noodles, but we had elbow macaroni noodles in the pantry. My kids loved it even more. Also, I'm not a huge mushroom fan so we do one can of cream of mushroom and one can of cream of chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  22. ground beef

    Buy the best ground beef meat with fast delivery. We offer the best ground beef online at an affordable price. Now contact us - 713-734-6328


    to get more - https://farmersfreshmeat.com/shop/ground-beef-100lbs/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Ground beef is the major ingredient in many varieties of high-volume meat products, such as hamburgers and sausages. Pakistani-Recipes

    ReplyDelete