Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Orange Chicken



Yesterday, I was feeling under the weather, so I skimmed through MANY cookbooks while lounging around outdoors on the patio, in my bed, and on the couch.


I finally got up and fixed this delicious recipe that I haven't made in a awhile.

It has an interesting ingredient- a GRAHAM cracker coating! I had never come across a recipe for chicken coated in graham crackers before!

The sauce for the chicken, was actually a sauce for a pork recipe I make and love, so I just combined the two!

I submitted this recipe to be printed in the Coal Country Cookin' cookbook (vol. II).
You can still order this cookbook, AND help fund the Old King Coal Festival here in my small town. Click here to learn more about it and to order your cookbook.


YOU WILL NEED:

3 lbs. chicken breasts (I use skinless, boneless)
1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. pepper
2 eggs
1 T. Milk

SAUCE:
1/2 c. orange juice
2 T. brown sugar
2 T. orange marmalade
1 T. vinegar

Combine crumbs and spices
in a plastic bag. Mix eggs with milk and beat well. Dip chicken one at a time into liquid, then shake in bag of crumbs. Place chicken on lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn over and bake 15 minutes longer. Mix all sauce ingredients together and spoon over warm meat.
Garnish with orange slices.

This has a refreshingly light sweet taste. Something different, for a change.

9 comments:

  1. This chicken looks fantastic! I've never used graham cracker crumbs for anything other than desserts, but I can see how this would work! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds yummy.
    I like orange chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds great, Sherri! I'm loving that little bit of sweet crunch that I can just taste through the screen. Hope you're feeling better now :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would of made me feel better! I've never seen grahams used this way, either. How delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How interesting that this uses graham cracker crumbs. Citrus too, sounds so flavorful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an interesting combination! I've never seen graham crackers used as a coating before. Love that orange sauce - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds really different and delicious

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now I can use my graham for something besides smoores..my waist thanks you!!Figtreeapps

    ReplyDelete