Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Best Ever Cherry Tortilla "Cobbler"



Today I will be preparing this recipe for our local Morning News WSILTV 3 Station. I will be making the Apple version. YOU CAN WATCH IT HERE.
I have been making this dish (or one of the other varieties I'll mention later) for years- taking it to church socials, parties, neighborly gatherings, dinners or just for supper and I'm here to tell you that I've not taken it once to a gathering where my dish didn't return to me empty with nothing but recipe requests in it!

I'll make the cherry version for Valentine's Day, or Independence Day or Christmastime, and I'll make the apple version in the fall. I've also tried the peach, and I guess you could substitiute YOUR favorite pie filling (blueberry, strawberry, etc.)

It is very simple, just a few steps for assembly and you're on your way to making an absolutely delicious and surprisingly "from scratch" tasting "cobbler", but you will have cheated! Ssshhhh, you're secret's safe with me!

This recipe originally came to me from my cousin Angie who found it in her church cookbook when she lived in Carlsbad, New Mexico.

You will need:

1 pkg. flour tortillas (8-10)
small pkg. (4 oz.) cream cheese
2 cans Cherry Pie Filling (or flavor of your choice)
1 T. butter (for buttering baking dish)

Sauce:

1 1/2 sticks butter (do not substitiute-trust me)
1 1/2 c. sugar
1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp. Almond extract ( *If using other fillings, vanilla extract would be used)

Butter bottom and sides of 13 x 9" naking dish. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spread cream cheese over tortilla.(Enough to cover, 1-2 T.)




Place about 3 T. of pie filling down center of each tortilla.


Roll up tortilla, enchilada style.

Place side by side in dish.


Add any remaining pie filling to the top of dish and set aside.





In a saucepan over med-high heat, bring butter, sugar, water and extract to a boil.
Remove from heat and pour over tortillas in dish.



Bake at 350 for about 40 minutes. Remove and let cool a few minutes before serving.

Serving suggestions:

*Serve warm with a scoop of French Vanilla Ice cream on top.
or
*Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
or
*Top with Cool Whip
You can serve hot,room temp. or cold from the fridge. It's ALL good!


*When I make the apple version, I sprinkle top with cinnamon-sugar mixture and sprinkle with nuts . After baking I drizzle with caramel Ice cream topping.


Go ahead-Give it a try with YOUR favorite pie filling or topping. If you do, be sure to come back and let me know and I'll add your link to the post!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a winner to me! Gotta love those church cookbooks - some of my favs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum yum yum. This looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look scrumptious! Just like making enchiladas - but these are better!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness! I am going to have to try this. I adore cherries and I've got 2 cans of pie filling in my pantry right now. Now I just need an occassion so I can share this with folks and keep me from eating it all by myself, along with the help of my husband and teen son. The rest of my family isn't so much into fruit desserts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made the cherry version for Thansgiving and find it's even better the longer it sits. Make it a day ahead of time and reheat in oven. Add a little vanilla ice cream and you have the perfect and easiet cherry cobbler!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Had to check out the recipe after seeing your FB post today... and a definite YES that I will be trying this asap! You rock! -- Tami Alvis

    ReplyDelete