Saturday, July 18, 2009

Cheesy Tomato Pie



I do not have my own garden, but I am blessed with great friends who are very generous with their garden bounty. Recently I was given many fresh tomatoes from my friend Steph's garden, and I've been eating them plain, just sliced on a little plate. One after another. Till I developed little sores in my mouth! So, I know I need to slow it down a bit, but I'm afraid they'll go bad before the last one is eaten so rather than waste perfectly good garden tomatoes, I've been making up some tomato recipes that help spread the tomato love a little.

This recipe was found on allrecipes.com, but of course I tweaked it a bit to suit my tastes.

It is very rich, so slices don't need to be very large, but it is a perfect recipe to try especially when your tomato bounty is plentiful.

*In my photo, I took the picture immediately after I removed it from the oven. I sliced into it a bit too soon. When it cools a bit, it developes a firmer texture. Still creamy, but not like the photo shows.

YOU WILL NEED:


1 (9 inch) pie shell (I used a premade pie crust, but of course for you die hard "everything from scratch ladies", feel free to make your own!)

5 ripe tomatoes, sliced and drained well (You don't want a soggy bottom- which is not to be confused with a saggy bottom which I have... but that's another story))

3/4 lb. bacon, cooked and crumbled
1/2 yellow onion, sliced
3/4 cup mayonnaise (not Miracle Whip)
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese (plus a little more to sprinkle on bottom of pie shell and some for the top)
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
ground black pepper to taste
2 teaspoons fresh basil *
2 teaspoons fresh oregano *

*Or use 1 tsp. each if fresh is not handy.



DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Bake the pastry shell until browned. While baking, fry bacon and drain grease.
When crust is baked, sprinkle a little mozzarella over crust. Then crumble bacon and place over cheese.
Slice onion and place on bacon. Slice tomatoes and arrange over onions. Add black pepper to taste.

In a medium bowl, combine mozzarella, Parmesan and mayonnaise. Spread this mixture evenly over tomatoes.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle a little mozzarella on top during last 5 minutes of baking. Once cooked, garnish with fresh herbs.

Enjoy!

If you have some garden tomato recipes, I'd love for you to share them with me. Feel free to link up your recipe from your site in the comment section.

6 comments:

  1. This is so weird! I saw this same recipe on AllRecipes this week and just bought the ingredients yesterday to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds terrific...I will have to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, doesn't this sound delicious. There is nothing better than a homegrown tomato :) I've had excellent luck with making "sun dried" tomatoes in my oven -- just cover a baking sheet with tin foil, slice tomatoes in half lengthwise almost all the way through, and dry in oven on very low heat, 200 degrees, for 9 - 12 hours (or more, if tomatoes are real thick. They should be dry to the touch when done.) When they're good and dry, we put them in a wide-mouth canning jar and cover with olive oil. They don't need to be refrigerated as long as they're completely submerged in oil; we slice them up throughout the year and use on pasta. Yum.

    Another wonderful tomato recipe, for roasted tomato soup, is from Laurie Latour at futurechristianhomemakers.com, and can be found here: http://queenofthecastlerecipes.blogspot.com/2008/10/roasted-tomato-soup.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lynn- thanks for the added recipes. I appreciate the ideas.They sound great!
    Kathy- there just must be something in the air!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks really good - nice flavors with the bacon and mozzarella! I can't wait for some of my garden tomatoes to ripen.

    ReplyDelete