Monday, October 24, 2011

Mom's Secret Recipe Meatloaf







I have told you in the past, ANYTIME I post a recipe from my Momma, you all should immediately stop what you are doing and print or write it out!

They are ALWAYS wonderful, mouth-watering recipes that are not too fussy.

The surprising secret in this recipe is SALSA- but it only adds to the moistness and offers some added flavor. It does NOT make it spicy or Mexican-flavored.

The topping is DELICIOUS! You'll want seconds. Possibly thirds. Your Momma will not have to tell you to clean your plate!


For this recipe, you will need:


2 eggs, beaten
1/2 of small jar of mild salsa
1 cup finely crushed saltine crackers
2 lbs. ground beef
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/3 cup chopped green pepper

Mix all together- put into a loaf pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes (uncovered). Bring out of the oven and put on topping and bake 15 min. more.

Topping
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. dried mustard


Best served with mashed potatoes.



Enjoy!

"In the childhood memories of every good cook, there’s a large kitchen, a warm stove, a simmering pot and a mom." – Barbara Costikyan

5 comments:

  1. Yum Sherri! I love meatloaf myself and this sounds like a solid recipe anybody would love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ohh man, I love meatloaf, even better next day on a sandwich...
    Take care..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummmm...meatloaf!!! Know I need to go and see How much hamburg I have in the freezer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you're capturing her recipes. So many of my grandma's are not written down and as morbid as it sounds, we always worry that when she goes the recipes will go with her. We have taken to having her record her stories though, which has been great.

    ReplyDelete