Wednesday, February 7, 2018

How to make a simple Valentine's meal special.... (a repost)



Several years ago, I came up with one of my favorite Valentine's Day memories with my husband. (We've celebrated over 3 decades of them together!)

I decided to make him a Chinese meal at home --so much more romantic than sharing dinner with 50 of our "closest friends" in a restaurant.

My menu was simple: Homemade Egg Drop Soup, Egg Rolls (purchased), Chicken and Veggies with Fried Rice, some Chai Tea and a Chocolate Heart Brownie (from a box mix cut into a heart shape with caramel and chocolate sauce drizzled on top with ice cream and a chocolate dipped strawberry.

What really made it special was the presentation.

A friend I met on facebook, allowed me to borrow her Kimono that she had used for a Halloween costume. It came complete with matching shoes!

I went to a local thrift store in town and purchased an oriental fan to complete the ensemble.

The thrift store also had some unique serving dishes with an oriental flair that I used along with the serving pieces I already had.

I even found a red book of LOVE with Chinese symbols in it!

I had a CD of oriental instrumental music playing in the background. We sat on the floor in my living room at the coffee table and enjoyed this wonderful dinner.

It was a wonderful evening. :)






My husband's gift to me was his own dinner a couple of nights before. HE IS NOT A COOK (he has honestly told me before, "Sher, I would starve without you." And he would be right!

He made a simple tortellini dish. (My request)

He purchased a bag of frozen tortellini and I told him that all he had to do was boil the pasta, and add Parmesan cheese and butter....and that's EXACTLY what he did. It was SWIMMING in water because he didn't DRAIN the pasta (because I didn't tell him to do that one very important step!) WHO woulda' thought someone wouldn't know to do that?

We laughed...drained the pasta...added more butter and Parmesan and it was delicious! He also purchased some good cheeses and crackers, and had fresh fruit for me.

Did I mention I love him?

Make it a wonderful day for whomever you love. A spouse, a child, grandchild, friend, neighbor....CELEBRATE the love for the people in your life!

Here's to a Happy Valentine's Day everyone!



Scroll down my sidebar for more dinner recipes or desserts that would be perfect for your Valentine!

2 comments:

  1. That is very sweet. My husband doesn't cook either. His idea of cooking is opening a box of cereal. Well, he will BBQ for us. But that's it.

    ReplyDelete