Friday, September 4, 2009

Fast and Furious Friday- Caramel Apples


I was minding my own business while shopping at the local Kroger and enjoying the last dog days of summer, looking for some interesting ingredients to spruce up an ordinary meal I had planned.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw it. The perfect symbol of autumn's entrance- even if it is a bit early.

Well, hello there.

I quickly pushed my cart over to the caramel apple section, and chose my triple apple package ( my choice was based on the apples that seemed to be the most covered in the chopped nuts) and placed them in the cart. Throughout the rest of my shopping trip, I could think of little else. Now, an interesting supper didn't seem to matter anymore. I just wanted to get into the car and rip open the package and enjoy my treat that not only tames the cravings , but also opens the door for autumn for the rest of the season.

I just threw some hamburger, buns and a package of cheese in the cart. An "interesting supper" didn't matter any more. I just wanted a dessert. It also became an appetizer. And a midnight snack.

Since I've eaten the caramel apple, I have also brought out my fall scented candles, and started decorating my home for my favorite season. There's no turning back now.
That caramel apple had me at hello!

The Food Network magazine shares this recipe for the perfect caramel apple. Enjoy.





Directions

Mix 2 cups sugar, 1/4 cup light corn syrup and 1/2 cup water in a small saucepan.

Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring just until the sugar dissolves. Cook, swirling the pan (do not stir), until the mixture is light amber and a candy thermometer registers 320 degrees, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat; slowly whisk in 1/2 cup heavy cream, then 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Return to low heat and whisk until smooth. Let cool until the caramel is thick enough to coat a spoon.

Insert sticks into the stem ends of 6 apples and dip the apples into the caramel, letting the excess drip off. Roll in toppings if desired, then let cool on a parchment-lined baking sheet coated with cooking spray.

Happy Autumn- a little early.

6 comments:

  1. I love fall... just looking at the picture of the caramel apple you posted makes me crave the season. The Wife and stopped by the local Hobby Lobby store the other day, and they have all their decorating stuff out for fall - and alot for Christmas too.

    I couldn't help but smile every time I looked over there :)

    Actually eating a caramel apple can be an experience, though, for those of us with beards.. not for the faint of heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paladin- Hee hee! I can just picture a bearded man with the little peanut pieces in his beard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I LOVE caramel apples. Like you though, I prefer to buy them where someone else has done the work! I've never actually made them at home but I've got that magazine - might have to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've made chocolate covered apples but not caramel ones. I am so ready for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fall's my favorite season too...a caramel apple sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum, it's been a long time since I've made (or eaten) a caramel apple. You have inspired me -- it's time!

    ReplyDelete