Sunday, November 11, 2018

Easy Italian Salad ( Popular recipe request)


I love salads. I do. I love healthy ones and also salads that have more fat and calories than a juicy cheeseburger. I don't judge them. I enjoy them.

I'll eat one as an appetizer before my meal.
I'll enjoy one as a side dish with my meal.
I'll devour one as the main entree when the mood strikes.

Salads are so versatile. They are also EASY to prepare--especially since you can purchase bags of pre-washed, ready-to-eat greens- even the organic varieties. I call it"lazy lettuce" since no washing, drying or chopping is necessary.

I also love the fact that you don't have to be very skilled in the kitchen to pull off a great salad recipe.
So, I want to give you a tip on a special salad I make that everyone always asks me for the recipe--and especially the dressing recipe. And it's a cheater version. Very simple. NOT from scratch, but who cares?

This salad can be served as a main entree for lunch (since it does have meat) or serve it as an appetizer or a side dish. Of course, it goes very well with any Italian main dish.

First, save yourself some time and purchase the bagged Italian blend. Then add your favorite vegetables. I won't pretend this salad is a healthy one, but you can omit the cheese and pepperoni and it would have less fat...but it won't taste as good. How you build your own salad is none of my business. No judgment here.



1 -2 bags Italian blend salad mix in a bag
1/2 can black olives, drained and sliced
1/2 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup pepperoncini, drained and sliced
1 small pkg. pepperoni slices
1 red/green pepper, chopped
1-2 T. dried onion flakes (or use  rings of a sliced onion)
1-2 cloves minced garlic (or 1 tsp. of minced garlic in a jar)
chopped basil leaves or parsley--just a bit if dried (1 tsp.-1T.)
1/2 cup of shredded Mozzarella cheese
1/3 cup or more-shredded Parmesan cheese
*Other veggies of your choice
Artichokes hearts would also be very good

Empty bag of lettuce blend into a large bowl. Add your favorite veggies. Toss. Cover with plastic wrap till ready to serve.

ITALIAN DRESSING TIP:

Prepare one pkg. of Good Season's Italian Dressing mix according to pkg. directions (which includes vinegar-I use apple cider vinegar- and oil -I use olive oil).

Add about 1 T. white sugar (or a little more) and 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan Cheese. (This was a wonderful tip from my friend Gail who is a fabulous cook with all sorts of great ideas in the kitchen.) This tastes like a signature or House Salad at many fine dining restaurants. You can also add the sugar and Parmesan cheese to a bottle of prepared Italian dressing, like Wishbone.

Mix very well.

Right before serving, toss well with the salad. Sprinkle with more grated Parmesan on top. Serve with croutons or crusty bread.

You're welcome!

Enjoy! Everything in Moderation




No comments:

Post a Comment