Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Mary D.'s Triple-Layer Italian Cream Cake



I'm Italian. I love cream. I love cake. And I love Mary Darnell for sharing this recipe with me nearly 30  years ago.

 This lady can bake! I was in my late twenties when I first tasted her recipe and I was blown away by the taste and the beauty of this layer cake. I remember Mary telling me that she mastered this one because she felt that her meals might only be considered "Okay..." but by the time they ate her dessert they would forget about an average meal and all they would remember was the wonderful ending. Smart lady!

Obviously, if you're watching your fat and calories, you MUST practice moderation with this recipe. EAT A SMALL PIECE only! Hide the rest! Lock it up! Give it away! Actually, I only make desserts when I'm having company over (or taking it to someone) because they will also be enjoyed by others and not me alone-- that's how I practice moderation. If I'm left with a cake like this one in the house, I'm eating it for dessert first...then a late-night snack, then a cold morning breakfast, a midday snack, lunch dessert....you get the idea.

So, don't say I didn't warn you. This has cream cheese, butter, buttermilk, shortening, powdered sugar, white sugar.....I think the only "innocent" ingredients would be eggs and baking soda." Vanilla and coconut aren't so bad either. :)

To make this classic and scrumptious cake, you will need:

1 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. baking soda
1 stick butter
1/2 cup shortening
*I'm not a fan of shortening either, but there are a few old recipes I have that call for it and I still use it in those because overall, it is a small amount and I rarely eat those recipes. I'm afraid to mess with a perfect recipe.
5 eggs, separate yolks from whites
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups sifted cake flour
1 cup coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Icing:
1 box powdered sugar
1 stick butter
1 (8oz.) cream cheese
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

Mix buttermilk and baking soda. Set aside. Cream butter and shortening; add sugar. Add egg YOLKS, one at a time, beating after each addition. Add milk and flour alternately, beating after addition until all is well blended. Beat egg white separately, then add to mixture, along with coconut, nuts, and vanilla.Bake at 325 degrees for 25-30 minutes in THREE nine-inch layer pans that have been well-greased and floured.

While baking, mix butter and cream cheese together until smooth. Add powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat till smooth.

When cakes are finished baking and have cooled completely, spread icing between each layer and then on top and down sides of cake.

Serve at room temp, but store leftovers(if any) in the refrigerator.

Find someone to share this cake with. It's perfect for Easter-- you can add some coconut with green food coloring and sprinkle around the top edge for a "spring grass" look.
The cake top trimmed in pecans around the edges is another nice touch.

Enjoy~Everything in Moderation



No comments:

Post a Comment