Monday, June 15, 2009

Chicken Etouffee



I'm BACK! I enjoyed a wonderful vacation in Fort Walton Beach, Florida,and I figured I would share one of the Coastal dishes I tried while dining at the beach.

I realize that most people would order fresh seafood while seaside, however, try as I might, I am NOT a lover of seafood, so I tried to go with another dish that the beach combers love. I chose Chicken Etouffee ,a cajun dish. Etouffee is actually French soul food meaning Smothered Chicken.

The above photo is right before I dug in, and enjoyed a wonderful meal with great friends while enjoying this view...



Really, I could have eaten a baloney sandwich on soggy bread at this point and I still would have thought I was in heaven!

I found this recipe that seems VERY close to the dish I enjoyed, but I have not made this one.

Just thought I'd share it anyway.

Go ahead, give it a try and let me know what you think!




CHICKEN ETOUFFEE

YOU WILL NEED:
Ingredients:

4 Cups chicken broth

1 tsp dried thyme

1 tsp dried basil

1 bay leaf

⅓ Cup Butter, divided

½ Cup all-purpose flour

Cooking spray

1½ Cups chopped onion

⅔ Cup diced celery

½ Cup chopped red bell pepper

½ Cup chopped green bell pepper

¾ Cup water

¼ tomato paste

1 tsp salt-free Cajun seasoning

1½ tsp minced garlic

¼ tsp salt

¼ tsp black pepper

¼ tsp ground red pepper

1 tsp worcestershire sauce

½ Cup chopped green onions

½ Cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley, divided

A Boneless, skinless chicken, cut into strips

4 Cups hot cooked long-grain rice



Directions:

Combine the first four ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the contents of the saucepan to a simmer, cover, and remove from heat. Meanwhile, melt ¼ cup of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add flour to pan whisking to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add 1 cup of broth mixture to pan and whisk until smooth. Add remaining 3 cups broth mixture, whisking until smooth. Set aside

Melt remaining butter in a large dutch oven coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, and bell peppers to the pan. Cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender and onion is golden brown, stirring occasionally. Stir in water, scraping pan to loosen brown bits. Add tomato paste, Cajun seasoning, garlic, salt, black pepper, and red pepper. Cook 1 minute stirring constantly. Add reserved broth-flour mixture and Worcestershire sauce to pan, stirring well to combine, bring to a simmer. Cook 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add green onions, ¼ cup parsley, and chicken. Cook until chicken is no longer pink. Discard the bay leaf. Serve over rice and sprinkle with remaining parsley.

I'll leave you with a couple of more of my photos to enjoy to put you in the seaside mood.



This was the view from right outside my hotel room.


The pier where we spent alot of time.


13 comments:

  1. Now, that's what I'm talkin' about!!

    Looks like a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photos are amazing!! I wish I was at Fort Walton Beach right this minute!! What can I say about the CHICKEN ETOUFFEE other than YUMMY!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the Etouffee makes a nicer picture than a baloney sandwich on soggy bread. :) And I hope you had a wonderful time at the beach. Your pictures do make it look like heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's BAAAACK!! How many stilettos did you lose in the ocean?

    Etouffee is one of my absolute favorites, though I usually prefer shrimp or crawfish. But this is certainly worth trying! yum-O!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You forgot to pack me! What an amazing trip. The etouffee looks terrific too! As does the bridge and the trees...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks like a beautiful spot for a vacation! I'm curious about the white drink in the picture. Is it milk, or some exotic tropical nectar with coconut, papaya, etc.? (I'm such a food geek; all I ever want to know about people's trips is what they ate!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn- the drink in the photo is a VIRGIN Pina Colada (it was high noon, afterall). I paid $4.50 for it! But it was delicious and hit the spot perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I made the etouffe but made a roux out of the butter, 1/2 cup and the flour, 1/2 cup - heated and stirred to a peanut butter color and then added all of the veggies and onions to the roux and then cooked until the onions were clear. This tasted just like a restaurant that I went to here in Lexington, KY and it was a knockout with my family. Did not use or cook the parsley.

    ReplyDelete