Sunday, May 24, 2009

3- way Tex Mex Filler



This is a simple recipe that can be used to:

1. Fill a burrito or taco (just top with your other favorite ingredients).
2. Use as a dip (Scoop with tortilla chips).
3. Use as a soup base (add beef broth).

You will need:
1/2 lb. ground beef
1 can black beans, drained
1 can Rotel (green chilis and tomatoes)
1 pkg. taco seasoning mix
3/4 cup water
1/4-1/2 cup chopped onions (I used Vidalia because I like the sweetness of this onion to balance the other spicy ingredients)

Brown beef and drain. Add all other ingredients and simmer (stirring occasionally) till most of the liquid has gone and mixture is pretty thick.

Serve in your favorite Tex Mex recipe.

6 comments:

  1. Ooo I make something kind of like this too! But I usually leave out the meat because I'm lazy like that lol.

    Your's looks really tasty. I've never run into a can of Rotel before. I must go find it.

    I never knew what to call the mix, except that bean stuff to dip chips, fill tacos, burritos, and drink beer with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rotel is a staple here, but I realize it not a staple across the country. You should be able to find a can of tomatoes with green chilis that will work fine. *You could also add cubed velveeta...YUM!

    And as for the name, I just made that one up because I dont call it anything, but needed a title for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love all the mexican flavors going on here. Love the versatility of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! I love this recipe. Do you think that it would freeze ok? I would love to make a big batch and have it on hand when the need comes up! Have a great Monday!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ginger- I've never tried to freeze it but I think it would freeze just fine.

    ReplyDelete