Friday, November 17, 2017

Sweet Potato Casserole (a re-post)



I never was a fan of sweet potatoes, even at Thanksgiving when covered in brown sugar and marshmallows. Then, my friend Pam brought this recipe to a church Thanksgiving dinner and I was won over by the deliciously sweet flavor of this dish. It technically is a side-dish, however, it could easily pass for a dessert. And tastes very similar to pumpkin pie. The crunchy topping texture is a nice contrast to the smooth texture of the potatoes. I've made it for many years now, and it always a hit when I take it to potlucks.

Prepare for rave reviews!


YOU WILL NEED:

2- 16 oz. cans sweet potatoes (drained)
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
3/4 stick melted butter
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

topping

3/4 cup crushed cornflakes
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup. chopped pecans
3/4 stick butter, melted

In lg. bowl mash potatoes with mixer. Add remaining ingredients, Excluding topping. Mix well. Pour into 8 x 11 baking dish sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes (up to 45 min.) or until a dull sheen forms on top. My oven actually takes much longer than 30 minutes.. Just keep checking. It needs to be somewhat firm. Mix topping ingredients all together. Spread evenly over top. Return to oven for 5- 10 min.

Let set a few minutes before serving.



If you need to prepare a larger quantity, just make another 8x11 dish - as doubling the recipe did not work well for me in a 9X13" pan. It took forever for the center to set up.




People who live the most fulfilling lives are the ones who are always rejoicing at what they have.
-- Richard Carlson

10 comments:

  1. Yum. We make a similar recipe in my family for thanksgiving. Sweet potatoes were something I realized I liked later in life. I never liked the marshmallow topped version and still do not. Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes! my husband thinks this is dessert actually ;) I LOVE sweet potatoes... we use to even eat them straight out of the ground (washed up some of course) when we were kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh... I need to come here more often.... you really have some yummy looking/sounding recipes here!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly and Cheryl-I have fried some sweet potatoes (like french fries) and they were seasoned and very good, but other than this recipe, I'm not a fan.
    ANd Cheryl you're right. This tastes like dessert- almost like pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh... it was a winner again this year and I used this particular recipe exactly. My father in law was raving...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never understood the marshmallow thing with sweet potatoes. This is absolutely the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making this for Christmas and will end up eating the whole thing...it looks just that scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From above: 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (2 16 oz. cans)

    Wouldn't 32 oz be 4 cups of sweet potatoes?

    I just don't want to make it incorrectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous- I'm sorry. I used 2 cans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry that I saw this AFTER Thanksgiving but I copied it and will try another time. We are so burnt out on the brown sugar/marshmallow thing!!
    Thanks! Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete