Monday, November 23, 2009

Sweet Potato Casserole



I never was a fan of sweet potatoes, even at Thanksgiving when covered in brown sugar and marshmallows. Then, my friend Pam brought this recipe to a church Thanksgiving dinner and I was won over by the deliciously sweet flavor of this dish. The crunchy topping texture is a nice contrast to the smooth texture of the potatoes. I make it every year now for our table at Thanksgiving, and it always a hit when I take it to potlucks.

Prepare for rave reviews!


YOU WILL NEED:

2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (2 16 oz. cans)
1 1/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
3/4 stick melted butter
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1/2 tsp. cinnamon

topping

3/4 cup crushed cornflakes
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup. chopped pecans
3/4 stick butter, melted

In Lg. bowl mash potatoes with mixer. Add remaining ingredients, Excluding topping. Mix well. Pour into 8 x8 baking dish sprayed with Pam. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until a dull sheen forms on top. Mix topping ingredients all together. Spread evenly over top. Return to oven for 5- 10 min.

Let set a few minutes before serving.

If you need to prepare a larger quantity, just make another 8x8 dish - as doubling the recipe did not work well for me in a 9X13" pan. It took forever for the center to set up.

Have a wonderful holiday.

*Check out more delicious Thanksgiving Dishes on my side bar.

People who live the most fulfilling lives are the ones who are always rejoicing at what they have.
-- Richard Carlson

10 comments:

  1. Yum. We make a similar recipe in my family for thanksgiving. Sweet potatoes were something I realized I liked later in life. I never liked the marshmallow topped version and still do not. Blech!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yes! my husband thinks this is dessert actually ;) I LOVE sweet potatoes... we use to even eat them straight out of the ground (washed up some of course) when we were kids.

    ReplyDelete
  3. gosh... I need to come here more often.... you really have some yummy looking/sounding recipes here!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly and Cheryl-I have fried some sweet potatoes (like french fries) and they were seasoned and very good, but other than this recipe, I'm not a fan.
    ANd Cheryl you're right. This tastes like dessert- almost like pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my gosh... it was a winner again this year and I used this particular recipe exactly. My father in law was raving...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Never understood the marshmallow thing with sweet potatoes. This is absolutely the way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am making this for Christmas and will end up eating the whole thing...it looks just that scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. From above: 2 cups mashed sweet potatoes (2 16 oz. cans)

    Wouldn't 32 oz be 4 cups of sweet potatoes?

    I just don't want to make it incorrectly.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous- I'm sorry. I used 2 cans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry that I saw this AFTER Thanksgiving but I copied it and will try another time. We are so burnt out on the brown sugar/marshmallow thing!!
    Thanks! Love Di ♥

    ReplyDelete