Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tiramisu




For my birthday recently, several of the ladies in my family treated me to a delicious Italian meal at a local restaurant BENNIES. This photo is of me with my great niece Cortney.

I enjoyed all things Italian and topped off the meal with a delicious slice of Tiramisu. (Sorry for the bad quality photo)






tirami su
literally means "pick me up" or "pull me up" in reference to the effects of the sugar and espresso.

Although I love Tiramisu, for some reason I have never made it. But I plan to very soon.

And I'm making this simple version by none other than the Beautiful Italian, Giada de Laurentis.

Here you go:

TIRAMISU by Giada de Laurentis


* *6 egg yolks
* 3 tablespoons sugar
* 1 pound mascarpone cheese
* 1 1/2 cups strong espresso, cooled
* 2 teaspoons dark rum
* 24 packaged ladyfingers
* 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate shavings, for garnish

Directions

In a large bowl, using an electric mixer with whisk attachment, beat egg yolks and sugar until thick and pale, about 5 minutes. Add mascarpone cheese and beat until smooth. Add 1 tablespoon of espresso and mix until thoroughly combined.

In a small shallow dish, add remaining espresso and rum. Dip each ladyfinger into espresso for only 5 seconds. Letting the ladyfingers soak too long will cause them to fall apart. Place the soaked ladyfinger on the bottom of a 13 by 9 inch baking dish, breaking them in half if necessary in order to fit the bottom.

Spread evenly 1/2 of the mascarpone mixture over the ladyfingers. Arrange another layer of soaked ladyfingers and top with remaining mascarpone mixture.

Cover tiramisu with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, up to 8 hours.

Before serving, sprinkle with chocolate shavings.

4 comments:

  1. Well, first happy belated birthday. I can't remember if you let us know before. I have one coming up here soon myself.

    I love tiramisu too but can never find the ladyfingers around here. I've made a low carb version before but never the real thing. If I ever find those ladyfingers, it's on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tiramasu is my Wife's favorite dessert, hands down. I'll have to give this one a shot sometime. Sounds delicious and pretty simple too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tiramasu... oh, yes, one of my favorites! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. MMM! I hope to find the ingredients (lady fingers) and try this... this is my FAVE Italian dessert.. have this every time I visit my local fave Italian restaurant here in south Texas! Thanks for sharing Sherri!!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete