Thursday, September 21, 2017

Apple "Cobbler"

So, if you asked me what my favorite fall dessert is, or the most requested one that I make for others, (besides my chocolate SUZI-Q cake) I would direct your attention to this recipe-- this mouth-watering, warm, buttery, apple "cobbler" that has a surprise ingredient, and a cool assembly.

I guess it qualifies as a surprisingly, cool dessert. But it's served warm. And also good at room temp. and still great served cold in the morning for breakfast, if you are so inclined.

I make this in the summer and fall, and it has been a special request birthday dessert in the family, and also a huge hit at potlucks and get-togethers. Rarely any leftovers and I am always hounded for the recipe.

I first tried the recipe when I was in my thirties. Here I am twenty years later still making it--it is timeless! My cousin Angie sent me a cookbook from New Mexico where she lived at the time, and inside was this treasure. I made a few adaptions, but I have to thank her for leading me to this recipe.

So, back to the secret ingredient...the "crust" to this "cobbler" is....wait for it....

Flour tortillas!

I know, I know. Sounds yucky. But NO ONE will know, if you don't tell them. SO just keep your pie hole shut on this one, K? It will be our little secret.

I shared this recipe on my blog before, but it was made with cherry pie filling. The apple is my favorite, though, and most requested. I'm going to supply the link to the original recipe  at the end of this post so you can see how to assemble.

But here is the step-by-step without pics:


You will need:

1 pkg. of 8-10 lg. flour tortillas
4 oz. softened cream cheese

2 cans apple  pie filling

SAUCE:

1 1/2 stick butter (NOT margarine)
1 1/2 cups water
1 1/2 cups white sugar

1 tsp. real vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped walnuts 
Equal parts cinnamon/sugar sprinkle for topping 


"Butter" each tortilla with the cream cheese. Put pie filling (3 T or so) on one end of tortilla and roll up, enchilada style.

Place in a buttered 9X13 dish (vertically ) Continue until all are rolled up and placed in dish (some may need to go across bottom horizontally--may need to cut those in half to fit).

Place dollops of remaining pie filling on top, then sprinkle nuts over.

Set aside.Bring to a boil, the sauce and immediately pour over top.  Sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar.Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 45 minutes (or until brown on top. and most of sauce has been absorbed).

This is delicious served warm with some vanilla ice cream on top, or top with whipped cream....drizzle with caramel sauce.

And when no one is looking, lick the plate. 😋😋😋

CLICK HERE for the ingredients, instructions, and some pics to better explain the preparation.

ENJOY!

And here's a little encouragement from our Lord to those who may feel the weariness of waiting on Him and His promises. DON'T GIVE UP!  Meditate on these words while you're waiting for this delicious dessert to finish baking.








No comments:

Post a Comment