Saturday, January 30, 2010

Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup



Panera Bread is one of my favorite restaurants. I love their soups. They are so comforting- and what is even more comforting is knowing that I can make one of my favorites in my own kitchen.

I found several copycat recipes, but this one I found on allrecipes.com and  then tweaked it a bit and I think it most closely resembles the restaurant version.

Try it for yourself- you won't be disappointed.

Even the leftovers (if you have any) are delicious!

Give it a try.

You will need:

* 4 cups chicken broth
* 2 cups water
* 2 cooked, boneless chicken breast halves, shredded
* 1 (4.5 ounce) package quick cooking long grain and wild rice with seasoning packet
* 1 carrot, shredded
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup butter
* 2 cups heavy cream

Directions

In a large pot over medium heat, combine broth, water and chicken and carrot. Bring just to boiling, then stir in rice, reserving seasoning packet. Cover and remove from heat.

In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper and flour. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt butter. Stir in contents of seasoning packet until mixture is bubbly. Reduce heat to low, then stir in flour mixture by tablespoons, to form a roux. Whisk in cream, a little at a time, until fully mixed and smooth. Cook until thickened, 5 minutes.

Stir cream mixture into broth and rice. Cook over medium heat until heated through, another 10 to 15 minutes.

Serve with some crusty bread for dipping, or place in a bread bowl.

Perfect during the chilly time of year.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

  1. I love Panera too! And this creamy and comforting soup! I would love a bowl of it right now - it's bitter cold here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you read my mind! I have been craving this soup and wanting to make it. It looks SO GOOD. This is one of my favorite soups, hands down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious...so perfect for this cold weather. Nothings better than a great bowl of soup on a snowy day. Thanks for posting such a quick recipe!

    ReplyDelete